Haze & Chaos - Retaliation Part 10

Previous | First | Next

Master Post - Patreon


    “Howdy, partners, top of the morning to all of y’all–well afternoon, but hey,” Scotty said as he took his cowboy hat off and set it on a nearby table. “Sorry we’re late–had to deal with a pair of punks burning tires near the ranch…”

    “How’s it going, Scott?” Pace asked as he got up, noticing that Archibald had walked over with them. He figured that his help was needed.

    “Pretty good, Pace, aside from the usual hoohaa,” he said as he high fived him into a handshake.

    Mayhem nodded along, then went straight to Will. “Will–Good to see you again! Cliff told me about what happened earlier. If you need my help at any point, just let me know.”

    “Thanks, Mayhem–he’s a bit weirded out by that thing…”

    Scotty chuckled as he stepped over to Will. “A thing? What’s the matter…” He paused briefly seeing Will’s face shift to that of a god he did not recognize… a bizarre god with a wicked grin, no doubt about it. “Well that’s bizarre…” he muttered to himself, figuring Cliff would find something out. If not, he would look into it to the best of his ability. “Anyways, how’s it going so far, Will? No weasels in the coup?”

    “Hey, Scotty,” he replied as he shook his hand. “Everything’s been going fine, I guess. I mean The Earl Profane’s presence was a little off-putting…”

    Scotty stroked his chin with a nod and turned to the others. “Anyone run into any other related troubles?”

    “Hard to say, as I’d imagine Scevola is heading out as we speak,” Liam observed.

    “Speaking of that,” Archibald interjected. “Pace, Karolyn, Liam–Scevloa has requested assistance in his hunt.”

    Pace shook his head as Liam shrugged. “Alright, fair enough–Will, would you believe me if I told you that Scevola’s from another universe?”

    “Really now?” Will asked, surprised.

    “Universe-21HTP, as it turns out out he was one of Theophil Adenauer's goons–we never told you who had jailed him because the Multiverse Patrol was keeping it under wraps, but given that you’re working with Scott, Ludwig, and all those guys it’s only fair to tell you now.”

    Sam was nodding along, surprising some of the others. “Erm, not to derail this into a history lesson, but Karnage was on the fence about Theophil, and considered bringing him into The Tyrant War–thank God he didn’t. And some of the activists were Amramtrong apologists–the Earth-0X cult Theophil was messing with. That idiot, Corey, was always pretty gullible…”

    The others were looking towards Scotty, with him nodding in confirmation. “Ha, you can ask Jethro for his perspective on the whole thing, given that he was in the thick of it for the longest time–” He then paused, as they all heard commotion in the hallway. “Wondered when he’d show up…”

    “HAHA, WHERE’S WILL?” a voice eerily similar to Milan’s (in hindsight) called out. The faint sounds of a familiar female voice were telling him to calm down. “THERE HE IS!” A muscular man with a white mohawk and skin like that of shark scales pointed out, promptly hurrying over to the group. He looked quite intimidating, but his black bodysuit and rave pants gave him a friendly demeanor. “There’s my buddy-chum-pal, come’ere!” the man said as he picked up Will for a hug and swung him around.

    “Agh, hey, Shark!” Will said despite being squeezed.

    “Jeez, Will’s getting all of the hugs today,” Pace jokingly remarked.

    “Shark, would you slow down!?” Mary Pickford said as she walked over to the group, tapping her feet as her cartoon nature warped reality around her in a subtle way.

    Shark-X laughed as he went and picked up Mary for a hug and swung her around. “Haha, right–Sorry, Will, but I promised Mary I’d save the hugs for her.” Everyone was calmly laughing as Mary protested for Shark-X to put her down.

    “But you just hugged Will,” Pace cheekily pointed out, causing Shark-X to groan in confusion.

    “You are just full of it today, Pace,” Karolyn remarked as she pinched his cheek as they began to head out.

    “Yeah, having to fight Earl Hypocrite does that to you,”

    “I can certainly imagine,” Archibald added. “Good day, everyone, and best of luck to you, Will.”

    “Thanks,” he replied.

    “Alright, let’s roll before it becomes too crowded, ha,” said Pace. “Oh, Will, be careful–I think Brandie might be in the tower at the moment…”

    “Aw jeez…” Will said with a nervous chuckle.

    “Brandie?” Sam questioned.

    “Another one of our info-people,” Liam clarified as the four neared the door. “She’s Bran’s ex, and blames Will for the breakup between her and him… because, well, I’d imagine you know by now…”

    Sam took a second to think back, but then looked at Will with a knowing smirk. “Uh-huh, Boyo…”

    Will’s look of embarrassment warranted a chuckle from Pace. “Anyways, peace, everyone!”

    “Again, best of luck to you Will–let us know if we can help,” said Karolyn.

    “See you later, Will,” Liam said as the door shut behind them.

    After a moment to let the room settle, Shark-X finally put Mary down and turned to Will. “So, Will, going to introduce me or what?”

    Will laughed as he had Sam step over. “Sam, this is Shark-X–just call him ‘Shark.’ We’ve crossed paths multiple times and we get into all sorts of trouble.”

    “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Shark,” Sam said as she eagerly shook his hand.

    “Same here, Sam,” Shark-X was surprised by Sam’s grip–he liked that, as it confirmed all of the good things he had heard about her. “So, Will’s told you about our little misadventures?"

    “Like how you glued him to a wall with top secret capture sealant to bait bad bounty hunters and crime lords into your trap? Yup.” She was clearly a little critical of him, but the whimsy prevented her from being mad.

    “Ha, yeah, that was a bit of a stupid idea–Mary and Xxz had to step in when things got a lot more… hairier than we expected.”

    “Wait, ‘Ecks Zee…’ what?” Scotty questioned. “What kind of city-slicker lingo is that?”

    Will chuckled. “My ex, Gerri–she’s a bounty hunter that works with Mary and Shark.”

    Charon cleared his throat and chuckled, finally getting control of the conversation. “Mayhem, Scotty, Shark, Mary–welcome all of you. Now Will, we have a couple of things to tell you in regards to our guests. Firstly, Scotty will be here in the city because Kenneth Stainthorpe is present…”

    “Mm-hmm,” Scotty confirmed. “You’d think the rat bastard wouldn’t have the balls to show his face here, but I guess since he thinks that no one knows he’s from my universe that he can get away with it.”

    “That’s how it usually goes, annoyingly,” Lester commented as he ate some buttered saltines. “Climb the villain’s ladder long enough and you think you can get away with anything–I can’t believe I was actually that arrogant back then…”

    “Where do you keep getting that food?” Shark-X quickly and quietly asked, not acknowledged by the others.

    “Leave Kenneth to me, Will,” Scotty instructed. “Save your energy for Laurence, as I know Kenneth is here just to look good and steal Laurence’s assets when he loses.”

    Will nodded, but he was still a little uneasy. “Sure thing, Scotty.”

    “And that’s why I’m also here, Will,” Shark-X cut in. “Me and Mary have it on good authority that Laurence is going to try and pull something–we got your back, Will. Ha, I wanted to be there back in September, but Mary–”

    “In which I made the right call given how chaotic things got and what I had to go and do behind the scenes…”

    “Wait, yeah, you did kind of vanish on us,” Sam pointed out. “What was up with that?”

    “Akaya and Liss needed help at the last minute,” she answered with a relieved chuckle, indicating how tense things had become back then.

    Mayhem had a good chuckle given the elephant in the room. “Anyone told Faustus about that yet?” This made Will and Sam laugh. “I mean, he’s really warmed up to Akaya, but I can imagine that would still rustle his Jimmies. Anyways, you were saying, Shark?”

    “I had fun scaring the crap out of kids regardless, ha,” Shark-X pointed out, despite receiving a playfully critical look from Mary

    “He causes trouble wherever he goes,” said Will, followed by some chuckles. “So Mary, what’s up aside from the obvious? Why are you and Shark…?”

    Mary smiled as she straightened out her tuxedo. “Well firstly me and Shark joined Gemini…” This warranted applause from Sam, Will, and Quincy.

    “We were insistent on having these two as part of our organization,” said Wulfstan. “Both Dr. Woodall and Ms. Clara recommended them, and we saw it as a good way to tie The League into the underground–an advantage any agency would kill for.”

    This made Will crack up. “Good lord, and to think those morons in the FBI and CIA have to create massive scandals to get info on one joe schmuck selling weed out in the dingweeds…”

    “Don’t forget how they also violate the 4th by buying everyone’s data from brokers,” Quincy reminded him.

    “Oh yeah, that too.”

    “And nonsense like Waco and Ruby Ridge…” Scotty pointed out with a hint of anger stemming from his nature as a farm worker.

    Will scoffed. “Don’t even get me started on that nonsense–Don’t go after actual terrorists and anomalies, guys–just focus on the people minding their own business… ugh… anyways, Shark?”

    After failing to get some food from Lester, Shark-X returned his attention to the group. “Oh, yeah–more good news: Me and Mary are a thing now, hehe.”

    This warranted a round of congratulations. “That’s fantastic, you two!” Sam complimented.

    Mary gave an anxious chuckle as Shark-X put his arm around her shoulders. “Yeah–he’s a bit of a hooligan, but I don’t mind. We’ve been a lot more productive since then, surprisingly.”

    “Surprising!?” Shark-X questioned, making the others laugh.

    “And it stands to reason that I will be joining Gemini too,” Mayhem stated. “Given my knowledge of The Unlight and similar realms, it’s only fitting. And Morrigan, you should pay some of your friends in the Uncity a visit, as I believe Sarah-belle has been missing you.”

    “Oh… shoot… yeah…” Sam awkwardly muttered

    Scotty then noticed something wrong with Will’s presence, notably sounds he was making that no one else could hear. “Hey, Will, is something bothering you?”

    “Aside from the obvious?” he asked back as the others went quiet for a second.

    “I mean deep down at the moment–I can hear it on the sub atomic level,” he said as he pointed towards his ear.

    “How can you…?” Suffice it to say he was a little confused.

    Scotty gave a subtle smile with a chuckle. “As you know I became 4D in the Dark Void, and while I may not be all fancy and powerful like the 6D entities, you can still hear vibrations and whatnot. Your emotions are pretty loud, believe it or not–Will, what’s the matter?”

    Will paused, knew he was referring to his family drama, and figured he would tell him. “Oh, I just had to stop my parents from arguing prior to the trip here…”

    The resulting grunt from Will filled in the rest of the details for Scotty. “Aw shoot, come here, Will–I know how you feel…” Will stumbled over and received a comforting hug from Scotty, like that of an older brother. “Don’t let this nonsense bog you down–you’re your own man now, so you don’t have to do what your parents tell you.”

    “I know… It’s just that it’s frustrating, and I had to wipe their memory because I used my void magic…”

    Scotty nodded in respect towards that… the initiative part. “Well, that takes guts, Will. Don’t let your father think you're a door mat. If it helps you feel better, my mother would’ve never tolerated my Pa even looking at another woman–she’d whoop his ass in an instant if he even dared!”

    “Damn…” Sam remarked. “That’s leagues above the nonsense my mother pulled…”

    This made Charon laugh, as that grit was to be admired. “Damn, Scotty, maybe we should call her up and have her join one of The League’s organizations!”

    Scotty smiled, with his Cottonwood pride showing. “Well that’s a country-born, grass roots Alabama farmer for you–we don’t take no shit from no one. Obviously my dad was a bit of a city-slicker before he met my mother.”

    “You think you’re going to be alright, Will?” Quincy questioned as he leaned forward, looking concerned. “That’s a lot to go through right before the trial…”

    “Not to speak for Will, but I wouldn’t worry, Quincy,” said Charon. “Laurence is done for, and this case is in the bag. All Will needs to do is sit back, relax, and watch the fireworks.”

    “Mm-hm,” Will said with a nod. “We’ve found out some pretty scuzzy things about Laurence, Quince.”

    Shark-X walked over to Will and put his hand on his shoulder. “Damn, Will, sorry you had to go through that–sorry for being a hooligan in general, I guess…”

    Will smiled and gave him an arm-wrestle handshake. “It’s alright, Shark–my dad causing trouble pales in comparison to Dirtbag Jones and his gaggle of dipshits…”

    “Despite the talk we just had?” Quincy asked.

    “Yeah…” Will admitted with a chuckle.

    Lester finished up the last of his snack and went to sit down on one of the couches. “Well, at least the conflict with your folks resolves itself because you love your family at the end of the day. My family? Well I didn’t have one in this universe, and lord knows what happened to them back home after the dairy farms collapsed due to all of the immigrants heading out west… you know what, let’s talk about something more cheery!”

    “Actually, yeah,” Will agreed. “Hey, Chief? I’ve been learning more about Inferno, and how you’re the brother of Conall, the commander for Inferno’s Prison of Envy–”

    “Ah yes, my dear brother,” Wulfstan said, looking positively enthusiastic to speak about his history. “As you all know, I used to be The Lost Knight God, a member of Raziel’s fellowship back in The Lost Era, but I won’t bore you with that terribly long story…” Everyone was sitting down as they could tell Wulfstan was about to tell an interesting tale. “Why a more interesting tale is the time Connall, as Sir Mordred’s necromantic partner, called upon me to help stop Hecate from trying to convince Morgan Le Fay to usurp King Arthur, and that is where it all begins for me–my legend dates back to the twelfth century you see. It began on a midsummer day with the sun blazing overhead… or was it a cloudy day? Perhaps it was in the evening? Oh, I know–we were having dinner in the glorious castle of King Arthur! Why, I remember it like it was yesterday… or was it the month before?” And any sadness or depression was immediately replaced with the awe and humor of Wulfstan’s fantastic and wondrous story…


Next:

ULTRAMagic Alternate © 2022 William Ford II (ChaoticTempleKnight)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UMAE - Chaos Angel (2026 Update)

Haze & Chaos - Retaliation Part 2

UMAE 2026 - Goolubber makes some faces